The .xsession-errors file is where the X Window system logs all errors that occur within the Linux graphical environment. All desktop environments, whether Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXDE, etc., and all lighter window managers like FVWM, IceWM or Window Maker make use of the X Window system. Therefore any graphical application running on your computer can cause that error messages are written to the .xsession-errors file, reason why it can grow wildly until reaching very big sizes of tens of GB or even hundreds if your disk capacity allows it.
DanielHow to prevent the .xsession-errors file from growing to a huge size
Since the key combination Control+s is widely used as a shortcut to save files in GUI applications such as text editors, image editors, web browsers, etc. sometimes you are betrayed by your subconscious when you are working from the Linux command line and you use that same key combination when you are for example editing a Vim document when trying to save it. Then you notice that no key answers, the shell is locked and you can no longer do anything else in it. Even worse, you get a cold sweat because you can’t continue editing your document and you can’t save the changes.
DanielUnlock Linux command line after pressing Ctrl+s in Bash
There are basically two options when creating a multi-language website based on WordPress. One involves duplicating posts and pages by creating one different post for each language, wich is the approach followed by some plugins like WPML, Polylang or xili-language. Another approach is to introduce all the translations into the same post, separated by meta-tags within the content itself.
One of the most widespread options to create a multi-language site with WordPress is to use the qTranslate plugin, wich works pretty well and it’s free. Perhaps the most sensitive aspect of multilingual sites is URL translation, since it affects website’s information architecture and search engine optimization (SEO).
DanielGoogle XML Sitemaps v3 for qTranslate doesn’t work with Qtranslate Slug
When we create a custom module in SugarCRM (eg “grt_Providers_Contracts”) and create a link or relationship between that module and one that uses the “Related to” field type such as “Tasks”, we probably will want to search all the tasks related to our new module “grt_Providers_Contracts” from the simple or advanced search form from “Tasks” module.
However, there is a bug in SugarCRM that prevents us to retrieve tasks related to a custom module if that module has underscores (_) within his name, showing the following fatal error:
DanielSugarCRM error when searching tasks related to custom modules with underscores within their names
After subscribing a new VPS server from my hosting provider, I found that although I could access to Plesk control panel properly, I was unable to access MySQL with the same admin’s user and password as used in Plesk. As a result, I couldn’t do anything with the database from the command line or in any other way. So I decided to manually change the admin user’s password via the mysql shell. After making such change I could perfectly log in to MySQL, but nevertheless the Plesk control panel stopped working, throwing the following exception:
DanielERROR: PleskFatalException – Unable to connect to database: saved admin password is incorrect.
In certain versions of ImageMagick there is a problem (probably due to a bug) when trying to convert or manipulate an image either from the command line (convert command) or through one of the many API’s available (for example PHP). The CPU usage suddenly grows beyond 100% (because this problem occurs on multiprocessor systems) and the system becomes extremely slow. Apart from this high CPU load, the conversion process also gets blocked, never reaching to the end. This occurs even with small images of few kilobytes.
DanielHigh CPU load when converting images with ImageMagick